Re: [LUG] Broadband via satellite

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Recently there has been much activity on the list about broadband in this country. Rural areas seem to have the most problems. Now I don't know much about it, but I am wondering what is the current situation re satellite broadband?

It would seem to me to be one solution for people who are a long way from any exchange etc. But then, what do I know.

I would be interested to hear any comments from list members.

It works - but it's relatively expensive with high latency, however I have used VoIP over a satellite link.

Typically the vendors sell you a local box which is doing clever caching and compressing to try to make some things like web browsing go faster.

Here's one company offering it:

  http://www.avcbroadband.com/

(I have no connection - just found them a while back when someone else asked me about it)

Gordon