Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On 28/07/10 14:05, Anthony Williams wrote:

On the other hand, I've had quite a few problems with a LaCie USB disk.
It kept doing some form of "soft disconnect" --- the mount points were
left in place, and I had to physically disconnect it and reconnect it to
remount them. I think it's a bad sign that it needed two USB cables for
a single drive (one normal, one power only) in the first place though.

Depending on the hardware of the machine you might need to ensure that
you don't plug the "power" USB cable into the USB socket above/below/next to the "data" USB cable. It may be trying to draw power from both and some hardware dosn't like supplying 1/2A from
both sockets in a pair.

Even using two sockets the device only has 5W of power available
and is restricted to using a 2.5" HDD. Since these only require a
5V supply. 3.5" HDDs typically use a 12V motor...