Re: [LUG] Accessing SqlServer and/or Access from Linux

On 28/07/10 09:36, tom wrote:
> Been a few years since I done this (5) - has MS managed to make it
> harder or can one still get to ones own data relatively easily?

You can access Sql Server certainly, I think we use ODBC at work, but
all hidden in the Perl libraries used.

Not sure about Access, it is a file based database so presumably not.

Surely that you want to access it from more than one computer suggests
Access is the wrong database to use, since file based databases have
inherent problems with corruption, and lack the usual automatic clean-up
you get in sensible databases. There were tools to extract data from MDB
files, but last I tried none to actually (re)write the database files
directly.