Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

 On 28/07/2010 11:03, Terry Hill wrote:
That's a pretty sweeping and cynical view of the populace tbh.

You work in IT and therefore (probably) meet many businessmen who want you to provide the world for nothing - that's your problem, not the problem of the rest of the population.

Example: I've just got my first diploma on the way to my nursing degree, and I met about 70 nice people this year on the same access course. About 3 of them were truly "computer literate". The rest had other things to do with thier time, including a range of sports and interests, clubs and organisations. Some spent thier spare time collecting things to to make up boxes to send to the poorer countries, others owned ipods and went to the beach a lot. Others were young and wanted to spend thier time surfing. None of them were high earners, there was one "rich kid" I know of. Pretty much all of these people had an internet connection at home, about half ran their own households so I'm guessing paid the bill. Pretty much all of these people had to use the internet extensively in thier studies. I had a few chats over the year about home access, from giving advice on how to fix problems with wifi

All of these people will want a connection "that works without sitting around for ages" and to pay the least amount of money for it.
That's human nature, and the current economic climate exacerbates that. In any service people want reliability, nobody is going to say 'right I want a lousy service', but they also want it at a price they can afford which is fair enough. There's nothing wrong with that ideal.
Of course, you'd look at the ones with the ipods and assume they have money to spend, as they own ipods and live near a beach.
I agree with you, that outlook aggravates me. My Dad spent his whole working life pouring all his wages into improving the home for his family, and doing as much of the work around the house that he could to minimise on having to pay other people. He never smoked, drank occasionally at social events e.g. birthdays, and only after he retired did he ever have a brand new car. He also spent his working life with stupid comments from colleagues 'you must be rolling in it' - colleagues who smokes, drank, had brand new cars, and went on multiple holidays abroad every year. We went on five that I can remember.
For you, yes. For Rhona, 54, a lovely lady on my course, a complete nightmare. For Craig, a 22 year old scaffolder, funniest guy you'll meet, "I havent got a clue mate" would be his reply. Just because you see something as easy, don't assume it is for others.
Completely agree. In 6.5 years in ISP TS I had loads of customers say to me 'You must think I'm stupid' to which I replied 'No, I'm paid to know about computers, you're not - I'm sure you know more about your job than I do..' Although there was the memorable occasion where I was explaining computer viruses to a customer and likened them to human viruses. At the end of the call she mentioned she worked in the virology department of Guy's Hospital... *sigh*

      Cheap, Fast, Reliable.

    Pick two. Because that's all you'll ever get.

...if you accept it and then repeat it as a mantra. There's probably a T-Shirt somewhere.
And two of those are subjective - arguably all of them are. What people want is a service that meets their criteria. Cheap for me may not be cheap for you, fast for you may not be for me.. you get the idea. The aim of all consumers is to get a level of service they are happy with at a price they are prepared to pay.
Again, most "sheeple" havent got a clue. This isn't laziness or the behaviour of a scrooge. It's down to what they know and what they don't. And in the meantime the adverts singing about "neon rainbows" seem quite attractive when you've got hardly any money to spare.
I'd have to *slightly* disagree on the laziness issue. While you're right that in a lot of cases people have more to do than sit at the PC all day, there are those who do have the time but can't be bothered. I ran into many of those as well during the TS years.

Kind regards,

Julian