Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:01:36PM +0100, John Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 11:24 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
> I have never understood how paying an extra layer of "wages" to
> stockholders is better. Competition and efficiency can surely be
> achieved without that, but that is another issue entirely ;)

You may be amused (or cry further)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=BT&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&p=&a=&c= in USD
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=BT.L&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&p=&a=&c= in GBP

Basically excluding dividends BT appears to have lost money for its shareholders
since 1986

<snip>

> > Personally I would like a law passed that says:
> > -   Any new houses / buildings must be connected to fibre optic cable
> Unlikely to happen imo, isn't there a house shortage at the moment so
> the Govt isn't going to put things in the way of building for a few
> years.

There is certainly a shortage of cheap houses and there is a shortage of
easy money to buy more expensive houses. Not sure if there is any data on
second houses.

> > -   Any ISP / telco must have a simple webpage that provides MAC codes
> > on demand and switching must be simple and automatic. The page should
> > also be linked to lists of alternative suppliers who meet "quality"
> > standards.
> A good idea, but again isn't going to happen imo. The outcry from having
> to "advertise" competitors would be febrile, to say the least.

:) But it would force the bad suppliers to wake up. Particularly if the
webpage was linked to a Government site that referred to an Ombudsman that
fined and published bad providers http://www.otelo.org.uk/

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.