Re: [LUG] Traffic Monitor with schedule awareness

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:34:26 +0100
John Williams wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 17:18 +0100, james kilty wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 12:54 +0100, John Williams wrote:
> >
> > > Previously I was using Vnstat with some custom scripts I wrote to
> > > track the pesky rolling 30day tracking Demon uses. That doesn't
> > > have facility to differentiate schedules though.
> > Dear John
> > I was told over the phone that they would contact me to advise if
> > there is any danger before there was any risk - or have they done
> > that.
>
> I would much rather try and monitor my usage locally than wait for
> them to call when I am in imminent danger of being put into their "sin
> bin" (128kbit for 30days if that "punishment" is still the normal
> process)
>
> If I have a local log I can also see when any heavy use is going to
> drop off the 30 days and I gain some slack.
>

> As an example of what I mean, here is the output from the script I
> hacked together using vnstat as source.
> ===================================
>
>  subbass@subbass-desktop:~$ rdnm -l
>
> Days 1-10           Days 11-20              Days 21-30
> 2299                  7560                    2509
> 4595                  6680                    1666
> 3849                  5960                    4700
> 2208                  3293                    7980
> 3119                  1616                    5332
> 702.85                        11215                   12181
> 4121                  13023                   3709
> 9405                  11893                   2243
> 8202                  8810                    1255
> 5640                  2828                    8744
>

>         Bandwidth usage breakdown
>       30 day     .....  167337.85 MiB
>       Todays     .....     426.01 MiB
>       combined   .....  167763.86 MiB
> ===================================
>
> As can be seen above, I know that 8.7GB is about to fall off, if you
> wait for them to contact oyu then you have no idea when any heavy days
> would be about to clear.
>
> I don't want to log into their usage tracker online daily, which isn't
> as readable/detailed.
>
> It should be possible to script vnstats output again to handle the
> schedule, but its giving me headache trying to do it, my skills aren't
> as good as I would like.

I installed an interesting tool a few months back - can't remember its
name though.  It was a web-based network monitoring and stats tool...
since we had the entire office going through a transparent proxy we
thought it'd be interesting to see who was using the most bandwidth.

It was really quite configurable and I'm sure it could do what you're
asking... I just wish I could remember its name. :(

Grant.