Re: [LUG] GNOME file managers

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Simon Waters wrote:

On 23/07/10 12:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:

ncftp can remember site passwords though - I've been using that for a
while as a command-line FTP proggie.

I believe it uses .netrc like the BSD ftp client that ships in Debian.

So you can do the recursive thing, and the individual thing, and remain
free of typing passwords.

On the other hand .netrc is plain text passwords, as is ftp.

GNOME sftp client, and sshfs, allow permissions changes to work fine in
nautilus.

Perhaps it is time for ftp to DIE!

Very probably!

However the ncftp I'm using (Debian Lenny) keeps a .ncftp directory and in there are several files, including a 'bookmarks' with passwords encrypted...

Gordon