Re: [LUG] An 'open source manifesto' to counter the ICT cuts

On 21/07/10 20:06, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 21/07/10 19:14, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Steve Lee<steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> Miles Berry has put together a good list of ways to make the most of
>>> open source in educational settings.
>>>
>>> http://agent4change.net/grapevine/platform/645
>>>
>>> Those of you have been around open source in education for a while
>>> will recognise the themes that Miles has collected together in a
>>> compelling article that deserves wide dissemination. Pass it on.
>>
>> Good one. passed on to my 348 friends on face book. haha.
>> Best wishes.
>
> There's been a few critical comments about it on some forums...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ynhrlm
>
> In a way I'm wondering if these folks commenting are right.  I recently
> had a tour of the new Torbay Community College site and spoke to the IT
> Manager there about what they have.  They were slightly different from
> some schools, sure they had some RM stuff in there but they didn't go
> for the standard package from RM.  Instead they had assistance
> installing some equipment from RM (wireless access points in every
> classroom) but they opted for their own solution on the desktops
> (Windows 7, Office 2007 I believe) and netbooks for each student.
>
> There was only two technicians at the school as far as I'm aware and an
> ICT Teacher who also taught other subjects.  I gather that with close to
> 800 odd machines, possibly more the resources of the technicians are
> limited so maybe investigating and supporting FLOSS applications as a
> blanket replacement to Windows/Office etc would be a huge task requiring
> the help of someone like RM (who appear to be Microsoft only with their
> own proprietary junk on top) or maybe one of the other big players
> (Novell, IBM, Redhat?).
>
> It was promising to see that they ran a web based version of SIMS and a
> web based VLE (although not Moodle) but they'd need to manage these
> systems (they were saying that when a machine goes down they simply
> re-image it over the network and it does everything), they would need
> custom images building and tools to replicate what they already have
> (things like tools to lock down the machines, monitor screens and
> stuff).  Okay this could possibly be done, but it's probably beyond the
> time and abilities of just two technicians who have to also support the
> staff and students in the school (currently around 1,000 people,
> possibly rising to 1,200 people).
>
> I'm not saying that it won't happen eventually, but maybe it would be
> easier with other schools who already haven't had the sort of investment
> that Torquay Community College have had (new building, all new machines
> etc).
>
> Rob

Torbay community college,  where is that, or did you mean torquay
community college

Paul

--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th August 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse, Paignton,
Next Holsworthy Meeting -  Saturday 21st August @ The White Hart,

Thursday 22nd Tea Party 2pm - 5pm
Saturday 31st Salsa Night 8pm - 12:30
please e-mail devonmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more details.

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON