Re: [LUG] Laser printer recommendations

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 15:11 +0100, Paul Hirst wrote:
Hi,

My trusty old HP LaserJet 6L is going to run out of toner some time
soon and I figure I should upgrade. I thought I'd ask here because I
want something which works out of the box with Linux without any
messing about.

[snip]

Thanks for all the advice. It's surprised me how cheep a colour laser
can be these days and conversely therefore, how much you pay to get
duplex printing.

I haven't made a decision yet but I suspect I'll be forced into a
decision soon enough. When my last grains of toner run out I'll head to
the shops/internet. Thanks.

Hm. It's made me think about my old printer - HP 4600CN - it's a 4-toner colour laser with duplexer... Toners are about £100 each - bit cheaper if I shop around, however it does need a service. It's now about 7 years old, wondering if it's worth servicing or getting new. It's leaving a vertical smear down one side of each page - not bad, but irritating, so something probably needs a good clean... Anyone know any good servicing companies in Devon?

Gordon