Re: [LUG] tomato/linksys router

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Simon Robert wrote:

I'm not using the o2 router at all now. I'm using the previous router with just the o2 login and paswword changed from the previous setup. So nothing has changed at all. The potential prob with the o2 router runing two sets of IP addresses doesn't apply

The tomato software has various tools, one of which is a scan of local wifi, it sees the lan from the main router no problem, so signal visiability is OK. When using the tomato software the IP address and DHCP/DNS range MUST be different from that of the main router. Hence the main router at 10.0.0.138 giving out addresses from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.137 and the tomato/linksys router at 192.168.1.1 giving out addresses from 192.168.1.2 to ...50. Both routers use the same SSID and WPA1+2 password. When it was working I could see the linksys on the LAN with the address 10.0.0.4 and putting out the address 192.168.1.23 to the attached PC. I can still access the linksys from the wired PC.

I can't quite get my head round that.

How is the Linksys connected to your main ADSL (+Wi-Fi) router?

I was under the impression you were running it in client-bridge mode, but in that mode it should not be on a separate subnet and should not be running DHCP.

In client bridge mode, it acts like a client connected to the main access point and should not act as an access point itself - it then bridges the network via wi-fi through it's own Ethernet switch, extending the LAN, and its services (e.g. DHCP) through itself.

If you're using it as a router then you have double NAT, which is usable, but something I'd avoid if at all possible, but I'm not sure how it's acting as a router - the Wi-Fi interface acting as it's "wan" interface? Maybe tomato can do that, but I'd really try not to.

Gordon