Re: [LUG] usb to centronics...

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:38:55 +0100
tom wrote:

> I've just gone mad and while purchasing a midi-usb cable bought a
> Â3.99 usb-centronics cable so I can move my ancient printer onto my
> central server wot dont have no parallel port.
> Anyone had experiences with them (parrallel/usb connectors  that is)
> and cups - good or bad - as the box is headless and it'd be nice to
> know where it will go wrong....
> TIA
> Tom te tom te tom

Haven't had experience of them myself, but you should find that if it's
a supported chip (which I fully expect it will be) when connected
you'll have a new device /dev/USBlp0 (or something).  So long as you
have the correct tools under CUPS to 'drive' this printer, you should
be able to direct CUPS to use /dev/USBlp0 (or whatever) et voila.

Grant.