Re: [LUG] Thunderbird for spam control

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:54:14 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> My wife has her own laptop and insists on using XP because that was on
> the machine when she bought it. Oh well, what can I do?

If she's unsure about removing Windows completely, and doesn't want to
go down the normal dual-boot route through fear of 'what will the
supplier say if they find it doesn't have their supplied OS on it
should I need to send it back for repairs, etc', then you could always
discuss the WUBI route for a *buntu installation.

> She gets a lot of spam mail, of course, and I want to get it sorted
> for her. However I just cannot get on with Outlook Express ( what a
> terrible program).

Yep, fully agree here.  OE is awful.  Windows Mail is just as bad.

> I know that Thunderbird is available for Windows, and I am used to
> that program. I would like to suggest installing the Windows version
> of TB for her and then helping with the spam.
>
> Is this a good idea? Is it easy to download and install on XP. I
> haven't used Windows for years, so I am a bit worried about messing
> things up. Would any particular version be best?

Unless your wife has played with any previous versions and is
particularly tied to that version's interface, I would go for the
latest version you can.  It is easy to install and quite easy to
configure (personally I don't like it, but that's just my opinion).

Grant.