Re: [LUG] Thunderbird for spam control

On 01/07/10 17:54, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My wife has her own laptop and insists on using XP because that was on
the machine when she bought it. Oh well, what can I do?

She gets a lot of spam mail, of course, and I want to get it sorted for
her. However I just cannot get on with Outlook Express ( what a terrible
program).

I know that Thunderbird is available for Windows, and I am used to that
program. I would like to suggest installing the Windows version of TB
for her and then helping with the spam.

Is this a good idea? Is it easy to download and install on XP. I haven't
used Windows for years, so I am a bit worried about messing things up.
Would any particular version be best?

Any help appreciated thanks,

Neil

Yes it's easy to install, it's been a while since I've imported mail from Outlook Express but it should be possible. I gather it's all wizard driven and will also import e-mail server settings too.

If in doubt, make a backup of the Outlook Express settings folder.

I believe it's in

"C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express"

where <user> is the user name of the user and {GUID} is the GUID of the user, usually it's a load of numbers, there should probably only be one GUID folder in the Identities folder.

For more info about where Outlook Express stores it's files, have a look here: http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

Also worth bearing in mind (anyone using Vista, Windows 7 etc), Windows Mail stores it's mail in a different location although the above should cover Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Rob