[LUG] OT: Spam from Yahoo and Hotmail

Had comments from a couple of folks about very short spam messages,
typically just a URL, from either hotmail or Yahoo accounts. Even seen a
few myself.

When I've checked headers they do come from hotmail and Yahoo servers,
so I assume compromised credentials (and possibly compromised PC - since
one was using an old Microsoft email client for her genuine sending via
hotmail).

Notifying Yahoo security of compromised accounts was probably pointless
- why do I still try - as I got a stock reply that wasn't applicable.

Is this an uptick, or just coincidence that I know people, who know
people, whose details have been owned this last month or so. Looks like
typically the emails are sent as replies, or to people in their address
book or inbox, but I guess that is easier to code and gets a better
response rate.

Getting figures for this kind of break down of spam is hard, not least
most folk won't publish spam in case some of it is ham - which is fair
enough.

 Simon