Re: [LUG] 8GB of RAM in 32-bit machine...

Gordon Henderson wrote:

However, I've no experience of more than 4GB of RAM in a 32-bit system, so just wondering if anyones done this - basically what I'm trying to do is avoid a complete re-install on the box (which is 300 miles away) with 64-bit Debian (although compiling a kernel to cope with the added memory is fine)

Any experiences? good/bad/indifferent?

Not a lot of experience but my guess is it will "just work" unless the individual processes exceed any of the process limits (which can in many cases be "fixed" with sysctl/ulimit if the values aren't insanely large).

Debian have stock "BIGMEM" kernels so compiling your own shouldn't be needed unless you've fiddled here already.

I have this nagging suspicions that "BIGMEM" is there by default now on Debian for some reason that I can't immediately Google up - but that might have been a special case I was looking at or some such.

What process needs that much RAM?

I assume some huge database? This is going to be the issue, whether the process really does fit into 4GB address space with the various restrictions that apply.