Re: [LUG] PHP, Perl, server securing, etc.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Aaron Trevena wrote:

On 22 June 2010 20:37, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And who says Linux isn't targetted by scammers, etc...

Linux desktops aren't.. this is just run of the mill stuff you get
when you plug any server into the internet.

Sure - but this is specifically targetted at Linux (although as I've since foud out, this particular attack is aimed directly at phpList - so the atackers have put some effort into it!)

I've never had one of my Linux boxes compromised, despite a lot of
hostile traffic targetting either weak ssh passwords or php
applications/mis-configuration, even with out-of-the-box configuration
left in place for weeks on some new servers.

You're lucky. I've had mine compromised - however I sell services to people who can then upload their own code - that's where the issues have been. Out of the box, they're fine - put some dodgy perl/php/etc code in it, and who knows )-:

I noticed this in a log-file earlier - I see this sort of thing regularly,
but thought I'd post one here for you:
So there you go - Linux *is* being targetted and obvously the target above
is for some specific site running some specific version of some software,
but who knows!

It's targetting a PHP app running on any *nix with GNU tools
installed, could work (or not) as likely on solaris, freebsd or linux,
even windows running servers via cygwin :)

The (binary) code is specifically compiled for i386 Linux and statically linked. It's really unlikely to run on anything else.

Gordon