Re: [LUG] Thunderbird redux

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, James Fidell wrote:

Is there some way to tell Thunderbird that "most of the time if a
message is older than n days I probably won't care about it and
you can ignore it.  I may need to refer to it at some point though,
so I can't throw it away"?

I've no idea about thunderbird, but I'm (slowly) re-thinking my own email as a quick count shows that I have nearly 5000 folders in about 8GB of data, gathered over a period of some 15 years too...

So one plan is to firstly convert everything into maildir format - so one file per email, then to keep a totally separate area outside the normal imap accessable area where I can move files into when they're older than a pre-set time.

Reason for this is that the email client on my N900 croaks on the amount of email (or probably folders) I have - as does squirrelmail, and I suspect any other imap client would too. (I'm still accessing it directly by running alpine on the server!)

However, I do have control of the server and can run scripts, etc. on it directly - if you've got that control, them it might work for you too.

Gordon