Re: [LUG] Fast link over a short distance

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 21:36 +0100, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> Anyway, 12mtrs building to building, can't move people closer to
> >> server, too many people for one building.

Not sure I understand that.
RDP/VNC/X11/NC/Tarantella etc use <= megabit/s to give you control of
the session on a  machine sitting next to the data server, with a link
over one piece of Cat 5 or fibre or whatever to it.

So with a bog standard wireless router you can stream the desktops of
the sessions very easily across the air gap, as they are orders of
magnitude less data than the data being handled in the session.

> Not fast enough, 100M would be good, 1000M would be better, we are
> moving large files around.

Motorola encrypted point to point radio.

Certainly 100s of Mbit/s.

I looked at it when the PCT was having trouble getting us a link between
buildings 800m apart.