Re: [LUG] OT - Weird WinXP Internet connection issues

On 21/06/10 14:36, Julian Hall wrote:
On 21/06/2010 07:52, Rob Beard wrote:
On 20/06/10 21:09, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the Windows question on a Linux list, but I figure someone
here may be able to point out the obvious to me - I've been racking my
brains over this for several hours now.

On my Mum's XP PC she can't load up *any* webpages nor will most
applications actually make a successful outgoing connection.  I have
installed LogMeIn onto it so I can remotely help her. She has Skype
installed. Both of these run at startup.  Both of these are working
absolutely fine.

<snip>

 From Mum's XP machine:
telnet smtp.googlemail.com 25
Connecting To smtp.googlemail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

(Also, all webbrowsers fail to connect to anything on the WAN side).

Any thoughts?

Grant.

Um... is there any proxy server set on Internet Explorer?

Has she got a firewall (either the built in Windows Firewall or another 3rd party firewall) running?

Rob

An IE proxy wouldn't affect email though would it?

You'd be surprised what it can screw up! Theres something wierd about the way MS does sockets - I've known an SqlServer box malfunction when a separate IE Proxy box went on the blink! Reboot the proxy and everything worked again - MS denied it was happening but it was 100% replicable.
Tom te tom te tom
Julian