Re: [LUG] Fast link over a short distance

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:03:26 +0100
stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 18/06/10 19:34:42, Dave Morgan wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:39:28 +0100, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > >G'day,
> > >
> > >Since we are talking about wireless over a large distance, we are
> > >at
> >
> > >the other end and want high speed (as fast as posible) across a
> > small
> >
> > >distance, across the road.
> > >At the moment we can't string fiber for many reasons, but I might
> > cut
> > >slot in the road one day for it.
> > >
> > >What other options are there? We have a laser link between two
> > >other
> >
> > >buillings, but they are not cheap.
> > >

> > borrow a couple of ethernet-over-mains units, and see if they can
> > see each other?
> >
> > (my Devolo dLan200's claim to have a range of 300 Metres, I don't
> > know if they can 'escape' past the meter/fuse box)
> >
> > Dave
> > --
>
> Bet that wont work, different phases

It would seem that *some* of them will work over a common neutral.

A company I worked for not long ago needed to put some of these in
place for their customers in order to make a certain networked device
work over a large distance (from one side of a campsite to another).

We discovered that the Belkin offering (I think they were Belkins)
seemed to work regardless if device A was on Live1 and device B was on
Live2 - so long as they had a common neutral, they would talk to
eachother.  Only got about 2Mbps that way, but it was quite a
considerable distance to go.

You may find that with the newer devices you get better results.

Grant.