Re: [LUG] Connecting two points 500m apart

On 16/06/2010 15:54, Kai Hendry wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience of connecting two points which are about
500m apart? One device will probably be a sheevaplug, another my
laptop.

On a budget of say 100GBP? Wifi cantenna or something like that?

I've googled about a fair bit, though lots of the information seems US
specific and a little out dated.

Might not be of much use but I had a leaflet through today from a company who are offering long distance networking kit. One such thing they offered was SHDSL kit. It was on about getting up to about 5.6MBit/sec using long ethernet cable (I guess it would work the same sort of way as running SDSL/ADSL/VDSL on a BT line). It didn't have any pricing though, I'd guess it wouldn't be cheap though. I can however get the details for you on Monday if you want to give them a call. Yu might find though it's a case of, if you need to ask you can't afford it.

Rob