Re: [LUG] Odd Firefox + php.net behaviour

On 17/06/10 08:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Wills Fidell wrote:

All,

At first I thought this was my imagination, but it is definitely
happening:

If I open up a php.net function manual page, say
http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php, in Firefox the cpu
usage jumps to 99% for a period of a few seconds before the page
finally loads, and there is a corresponding leap in memory usage too.
The effect is more than enough to cause annoyance.

However, it is not just requesting the page for the first time that
does this. Switching tabs from another site back to the php.net page
does the same. In my test, carried out as I write this email,
switching tabs caused FF to hang for 12s.

I have also just noticed that if I hide FF and then return to it when
the 'top' page is php.net the same thing happens

This does not effect any other sites that I have come across.

So does anybody have any ideas what is going on?

No... And I can't replicate it either.. It does cause a spike to 104% as
the page loads in my firefox, but that's only for about a second as the
page is actually being rendered. Switching tabs has no effect, nor has
iconising firefox and opening it again...

Looks like you got a baddun ...

Have you tried turning it off and on again? (ie. kill and re-launch
firefox?)

My setup is dual-core Atom with 2GB of RAM - Debian Lenny and firefox 3.6.3

Could you be out of RAM and it's swapping like a swappy thing?

What's the first few lines of 'top' show? (run top, then hit capital M
to sort by memory usage)

My desktop looks like:

top - 08:29:32 up 9 days, 20:15, 29 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
Tasks: 166 total, 1 running, 165 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 3.1%us, 0.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 96.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.1%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 2051752k total, 1882708k used, 169044k free, 273536k buffers
Swap: 2056316k total, 0k used, 2056316k free, 1058988k cached

7470 gordon 20 0 558m 242m 37m S 14 12.1 833:07.44 firefox-bin
2835 root 20 0 256m 33m 4640 S 1 1.6 121:35.35 Xorg

Gordon

Thanks for all the contributions.

Top shows firefox running at about 99% cpu, and 10%mem. With nothing else coming close or working hard.

This has been occurring for some time, restarting has no effect, but I have finally decided to get to the bottom of it. Well actually I shall probably install fedora 13 and see if that fixes it.

Further testing suggests that it may be related to the length of the page (or rather the amount of content I guess). Although, a similar length slashdot page does not cause the same problem.