Re: [LUG] Lexmark printer problems

On 16/06/10 22:38, Simon Robert wrote:

sorry, but from what I have read lexmark is the brand which has the
worst record of linux compatibility. Even with windows people they have
a bad record, I met a lady who sold printers for a living, she reckoned
lexmark gave the printers away and then charged a lot of money for ink!

I used to be of that opinion (on the drivers at least) until I saw the Lexmark X364 multi-function laser/scanner/copier/fax. That does in fact come with Linux drivers (CUPS PPD files etc) on the CD. Works great in Ubuntu 10.04.

You're right about the ink though, the Lexmark toners are near enough £130 a piece (that is for 9,000 pages though). With any luck compatible toner cartridges for this printer will be released sooner or later.

Can't comment on any of the other Lexmark printers out there, just the X364.

Rob