Re: [LUG] Lexmark printer problems

On 14/06/10 23:08, Austin Gossmeyer wrote:

  I am having troubles with my Lexmark printer with Ubuntu 10.04. I have installed it but when I print it just cycles a piece of paper and doesn't print anything. I have a cups log if anyone is interested.

 Thanks for your time.

Austin

sorry, but from what I have read lexmark is the brand which has the worst record of linux compatibility. Even with windows people they have a bad record, I met a lady who sold printers for a living, she reckoned lexmark gave the printers away and then charged a lot of money for ink!

HP have a good record with linux, also Brother who have a website with linux drivers for all their printers and scanners. Check out http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro for info on supported printers. But HP and Brother are good bets, you can get a Brother wifi printer/scanner for about £90.

(looking at the database there do seem to be many lexmark printers that work, so maybe I'm out of date!).

Simon