Re: [LUG] Atom 330 setup wanted

On 14/06/10 08:39, James Fidell wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Seriously - you're solving the wrong problem. Thunderbird is obviously a pile of croc if it's running at 1-2GB for a days run. It's only an email client FFS.

I'm happy to consider alternatives...
I'd try re-installing it - mine has never got up to 100M to my knowledge - have you been watching flash in it?

Eclipse is a Java based IDE, AIUI... Again, you're solving the wrong problem - if that sort of application needs 1GB of RAM it's seriously screwed up.
Eclipse is an 'enterprise level' ide and comes with everything you ever need for that - and a lot of other things too. It might be worth seeing what you can drop from it, or reconfigure so it isnt loaded and ready and waiting so when a dynamic young programmer needs something its there ready rather than waiting a second or two to load it. However I'd just used a standard install to create and run a simple project and only used 160Mb - which is pretty similar to what I get with Netbeans debugging webpages...
Tom te tom te tom