[LUG] Novell authentication?

Hi all,

I've decided that I'm going to use an Ubuntu-booting USB2 HDD at work -
just like I did at my previous teaching job (well, I think it was
Debian then) - so I can connect it up to any projector-connected
workstation and use it the way I want to.

I remember what I needed to do regarding machine-specific setups (a
script that checks the eth0 MAC address worked nicely last time), and I
see no reason that it should work again.

My difficulty is with regards to Work's proxy.  They're running a
Smoothwall Guardian Server (so, presumably Squid with Dans Guardian).
I have all the IP and DNS stuff set up nicely, but when I fire up a
browser and point it 'outside' (ie having to go through the proxy) it
fails because I'm not authenticated.  Since we use Novell, I am
presuming they have their Proxy checking against NDS.

I have successfully authenticated against NDS with the 'ncplogin'
command (and a bunch of options... I'm guessing it was successful
because a:it came back with a $? of 0 and b:when I try the same command
a second time, it tells me I'm already authenticated) but the Proxy
still reckons I'm not auth'd.

On Monday I will try authing with the ncplogin command and then running
the browser from the same command line, but I'd really rather I didn't
have to do it that way (if it works, then so-be-it).

Anyone here have any experience running non-Novell/SuSE Linux systems
and getting authentication to work against NDS?

Incidentally, I'm not particularly bothered about 'logging in' or
PAM-authing against NDS... unless that's the best way to go about it.

Cheers.
Grant. :)