Re: [LUG] XEN virtualization expertise?

On 09/06/10 15:47, Simon Waters wrote:
Wanting to try and set up XEN at work so I can test out images and have
some confidence before shipping them off to the cloud.

The whole topic is fraught with new acronyms.

I think I need HVM for some of the operating systems I want (well need
would be better) to create images for (W2K).

Is there a way to test if a processor has HVM support, i.e. the flags
from /proc/cpuinfo ? Or do I just install XEN and ask it?

I think all the machines that are free to experiment with have CPUs that
are too old, or just not appropriate, but it would be good to know.

Simon

If you can get the model of the CPU you can usually check against the manufacturer's web site.

Assuming it's an Intel CPU, you can probably find the CPU here:

http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx

AMD tends to be a bit harder to get the specific information for but you could try here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

Or alternatively if all else fails, try CPU World here:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html

Rob (who is in a similar sort of boat at the moment!)