Re: [LUG] Personal finance

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 17:56 +0100, Simon Robert wrote:

> > Normal warning about installing random .deb files from websites...
> > almost as bad as installing random setup.exe files on a Windows box!
> >

> has anyone ever heard about, or have experience, of bad results of
> downloading a .deb package from sourceforge or a project page? (except
> depencies not being met) In what way would downloading ifreebudget from
> getdeb be "random"?

"OMG! UBUNTU! Reports the following: 'Malware has been found hidden
inside an innocuous 'waterfall' screensaver .deb file made available on
popular artwork sharing site Gnome-Look.org."

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/12/09/2215253

and original article

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/malware-found-in-screensaver-for-ubuntu.html

That is the only case I can think off the top of my head. I have little
doubt there are more.

I personally trust sourceforge and getdeb as best I can, even gnome-look
for mature projects. The chances of anything nasty on these places are
outweighed by my desire to fiddle with shiny new apps ;)

I rather feel the "do not download from 'random' places" is a safety net
geared at the less "aware" users and is good generic advice. If you are
moderately knowledgeable and can differentiate between known reputable
sites and unknown sites then you are of little risk, note I didn't say
"no risk".

I would never ever advise my parents for instance download software and
install it. I *always* advise them to ask me and I will gladly come and
do it for them, well mothers PC is a simple ssh away as its Ubuntu, my
dads being Vista (*spit*) requires me to go around. They aren't
knowledgeable to be certain that a google search for an app would be
taking them to the programs actual homepage for instance.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides