Re: [LUG] Personal finance

On 08/06/10 12:49, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:18:56 +0100
Simon Robert wrote:

On 08/06/10 11:42, tom wrote:
On 08/06/10 09:33, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have used gnucash for a long time now. However it is soon time
to move on from Kubuntu Hardy. I think that I will probably go to
Mint Xfce. While thinking about this I had a look at Kmymoney. I
was able to import the data from gnucash and I have been looking
at it. Mint Xfce seems to
have kmymoney easily available but not gnucash.

Anyway, I am wondering what list members think about the two
programs. Is it simply a matter of personal choice, or is one
better for whatever reasons.

Any opinions anyone...??

Neil

I think GnuCash has now gone to a DB based setup. This may not seem
like much but at least you have a chance of growing* with it and
writing your own reports.
By growing I mean moving from a single user to multiple users
without having to throw away/convert  all that data and starting
again. I've not looked in detail but I might as its account time
soon! Tom te tom te tom

Don't know if this would would work, but as mint is debian/buntu
based you could add the ubuntu repositories that have gnucash and try
installing from that.

Also there is another finance package, which I know nothing about,
called ifreebudget. This has a .deb package available form its
website, http://www.ifreebudget.com/. Might be worth a look?

Simon
Normal warning about installing random .deb files from websites...
almost as bad as installing random setup.exe files on a Windows box!

I'm using kmymoney (at the moment).

Grant.

has anyone ever heard about, or have experience, of bad results of downloading a .deb package from sourceforge or a project page? (except depencies not being met) In what way would downloading ifreebudget from getdeb be "random"?