Re: [LUG] Personal finance

On 08/06/10 09:33, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have used gnucash for a long time now. However it is soon time to move
on from Kubuntu Hardy. I think that I will probably go to Mint Xfce.
While thinking about this I had a look at Kmymoney. I was able to import
  the data from gnucash and I have been looking at it. Mint Xfce seems to
have kmymoney easily available but not gnucash.

Anyway, I am wondering what list members think about the two programs.
Is it simply a matter of personal choice, or is one better for whatever
reasons.

Any opinions anyone...??

Neil

I've only really looked at GNU Cash and that was only briefly, but it looked like it had everything that I could need for personal finance.

If you're willing to spend a few quid, other packages to consider are MoneyDance (it's Java based AFAIK and works on Windows, Mac and Linux) and Home Accountz which I've seen in PC World in Torquay and it also does support Linux (they also do a business version again which works on Linux).

A free trial of MoneyDance can be downloaded from moneydance.com (the full version is £35) or Home Accountz and Business Accountz can be downloaded from Accountz.com (Basic Accountz is also about £35, Business Accountz starts at about £60).

I haven't used either MoneyDance or Accountz, I've heard about MoneyDance (I'm sure it has been mentioned on the list, and I've read a review) and just happened to notice Home Accountz in PC World (it's by a Cambridge based company).

Hope this helps anyway.

Rob