Re: [LUG] Proxmox VE

On 02/06/10 21:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

The idea I like about Proxmox is the fact it supports both KVM
machines (so it can run a full OS such as Windows, Linux etc) and
OpenVZ containers (which Gordon has mentioned before) so I could mix
Linux and Windows on the same servers if I wish.

I'm using LXC, (not OpenVZ) and have sort of embraced it in earnest and
moved almost all my hosted servers over to it with virtually no
disruption nor detriment to performance. It's one kernel per server, but
each container could be a different Linux distribution - E.G. I have one
host running Debian Lenny hosting Lenny, Sarge and Woody virtual servers...

Ahh yeah, I got it a bit mixed up. Looked to me like something along similar lines anyway.

Even my clients who want a dedicated server now get it inside a
container - although in those cases it's simply one container per server
- the advantage I have is that I can then trivially move it to new
hardware for whatever reason...

With Containers (LXC and OpenVZ) it's just one kernel - you can't do
different kernels or OSs, but I don't need that.

Yep, this is why Proxmox looked interesting to me, I could virtualise all them pesky Windows servers (5 so far) and also roll out a bit of Linux too (one Linux VM so far running an inventory package and trouble ticket system). The annoying thing though is that Windows on 2 of the servers are OEM copies. Saying that another one of the servers has Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on it which is a retail version which can be transferred to another server and 4 copies run on the one server as VM's (although I don't know if that requires the host to be Windows Server as well).

Rob