Re: [LUG] meeting saturday

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 02:41:36PM +0100, tom wrote:

> The problem is that I believe NHS has just signed a "site license" deal
> with Microsoft for a national sharepoint rollout. Because the NHS has
> done this it expects its partners (local authorities, fire, police,
> social services etc etc ....) to comply with this technology so in a way
> every local authority is being press ganged into also signing up for
> sharepoint. Yet again some bumbling quango thinks its got the people of
> this country a "good deal" while in fact has ensured that millions will
> be diverted from local taxes to fund the Microsoft cookie monster.

Signed sometime ago: the previous contract came to an end in May 2010
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/nhs/pages/licensing/england_faq.aspx

<snip>

> Unfortunately they needed to invest 7 years ago when they had money, now
> the excuse will be that they cant afford to migrate away from microsoft
> any more than they can afford to keep the status quo. Unfortunately the
> status quo will alway be seen as the lesser evil.

This is one reason why the country is in this mess.

> As for the letter to Adrian Saunders ... it seems to have fallen on deaf
> ears for the moment as I have not even had an acknowledgment.

Turn up to a surgery and ask for a formal appointment on another day? (This
is one reason why I cannot see mine this Friday: she is having a surgery
in one of the towns / villages)

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.