Re: [LUG] meeting saturday

On 31/05/10 13:53, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:05:56PM +0100, Juan J. Martínez wrote:
>>>
>> We're going to the e-space meeting Friday 4th @ Farmers Union (Exeter),
>> around 7pm.
>>
>> It's not fairly clear what a hackerspace is about (we asked, really!),
>> but there's place for open source, linux talking, etc. In fact, we met
>> some Plymouth guys in the last meet up, and we had a very nice time.
>>
>> So, if you're around Exeter next Friday evening, me and Alex will be
>> there.
>>
>> We'll try to go to Paignton meeting too, but since one hour train it's
>> involved, it will depend on the mood. I have some Ubuntu stickers to
>> contribute to the raffle (if there's one).
>>

> I can't make either meeting: it would however be much appreciated if you or
> anyone at the e-space meeting can provide any figures / details on what is
> happening with the Devon County Council and Microsoft. At last search they
> have 6700 PCs and on switching to FLOSS could expect to save between £0.5m
> and £4m. At a time of austerity, I would imagine that they would be looking
> hard to save every single penny.
>
> Also from earlier work, I imagine that they will need to upgrade their software
> fairly soon as the earlier stuff hits end of life. It would be an obvious
> time to think about upgrading to FLOSS. I have in this connection:
>
> - Sent a Freedom of Information enquiry in to update earlier searches (in
>   summary: switching to FLOSS can't be done because
>   a)  Links with Police, education and health are too complicated.
>   b)  Too complicated to look at given The Unitary Authority issue
>   c)  Any licensed software is subject to Government bidding rules
>               (although how you can bid for free software is a bit beyond me)
>   d)  No-one has offered to support it.
>   e)  FLOSS is used as server etc but there is no business case around
>               (ie techies have just used it, because it works and is free)
>   f)  There is no business case rejecting FLOSS.
>
>       Now these answers date back a couple of years which is why I have asked
>       for the data to be updated but from the answers I have received it
>       appears that DCC use proprietary software because they use proprietary
>       software.
>
> - Approached my MP who in turn forward my request to the appropriate DCC
>   Councillor (who after saying he did not want to know any more information
>   about software) forwarded it to head of IT at DCC. I have yet to have any
>   reply.  Admittedly only a week.
>
>   My basic question was (a bit more polite but):
>       - The French do it
>       - The Spanish do it
>       - The Dutch do it
>       - Bristol does it
>       Why won't Devon at least look at it?

The problem is that I believe NHS has just signed a "site license" deal
with Microsoft for a national sharepoint rollout. Because the NHS has
done this it expects its partners (local authorities, fire, police,
social services etc etc ....) to comply with this technology so in a way
every local authority is being press ganged into also signing up for
sharepoint. Yet again some bumbling quango thinks its got the people of
this country a "good deal" while in fact has ensured that millions will
be diverted from local taxes to fund the Microsoft cookie monster.

While this mentality continues it difficult to see how any local
authority is going to change its spots unless it has an IT Director who
is willing to take a risk and able to persuade his bosses & ultimately
the chief exec of the authority in question.

Of course the IT managers of the South West (DCC, Torbay, Plymouth,
South Hams,Exeter etc ..) meet regularly and continue to sit by the
linux pool unwilling to even dip their toes in the water.

Unfortunately they needed to invest 7 years ago when they had money, now
the excuse will be that they cant afford to migrate away from microsoft
any more than they can afford to keep the status quo. Unfortunately the
status quo will alway be seen as the lesser evil.

As for the letter to Adrian Saunders ... it seems to have fallen on deaf
ears for the moment as I have not even had an acknowledgment.

Tom.

(Disappointed of Torbay)