Re: [LUG] meeting saturday

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:05:56PM +0100, Juan J. Martínez wrote:

> We're going to the e-space meeting Friday 4th @ Farmers Union (Exeter),
> around 7pm.
>
> It's not fairly clear what a hackerspace is about (we asked, really!),
> but there's place for open source, linux talking, etc. In fact, we met
> some Plymouth guys in the last meet up, and we had a very nice time.
>
> So, if you're around Exeter next Friday evening, me and Alex will be
> there.
>
> We'll try to go to Paignton meeting too, but since one hour train it's
> involved, it will depend on the mood. I have some Ubuntu stickers to
> contribute to the raffle (if there's one).

I can't make either meeting: it would however be much appreciated if you or
anyone at the e-space meeting can provide any figures / details on what is
happening with the Devon County Council and Microsoft. At last search they
have 6700 PCs and on switching to FLOSS could expect to save between £0.5m
and £4m. At a time of austerity, I would imagine that they would be looking
hard to save every single penny.

Also from earlier work, I imagine that they will need to upgrade their software
fairly soon as the earlier stuff hits end of life. It would be an obvious
time to think about upgrading to FLOSS. I have in this connection:

- Sent a Freedom of Information enquiry in to update earlier searches (in
  summary: switching to FLOSS can't be done because
  a)    Links with Police, education and health are too complicated.
  b)    Too complicated to look at given The Unitary Authority issue
  c)    Any licensed software is subject to Government bidding rules
                (although how you can bid for free software is a bit beyond me)
  d)    No-one has offered to support it.
  e)    FLOSS is used as server etc but there is no business case around
                (ie techies have just used it, because it works and is free)
  f)    There is no business case rejecting FLOSS.

        Now these answers date back a couple of years which is why I have asked
        for the data to be updated but from the answers I have received it
        appears that DCC use proprietary software because they use proprietary
        software.

- Approached my MP who in turn forward my request to the appropriate DCC
  Councillor (who after saying he did not want to know any more information
  about software) forwarded it to head of IT at DCC. I have yet to have any
  reply.  Admittedly only a week.

  My basic question was (a bit more polite but):
        - The French do it
        - The Spanish do it
        - The Dutch do it
        - Bristol does it
        Why won't Devon at least look at it?

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.