Re: [LUG] Fwd: Nokia launches open source phone

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:41:55 +0100
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 27/04/10 18:03, Julian Hall wrote:
> > 'The first handset to use the Symbian operating system since it became
> > open source has been announced by Nokia.'
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8646715.stm
>
> Important question to ask before buying an open source phone. Can I just
> read the code or can I actually get modifications onto my device?

You're assuming that the on-phone distro is compatible with your
desktop distro so that you can build modifications without requiring a
whole new SDK. The two usage models are too far apart in most cases.
It's not just an issue of cross-building (which is hard enough), it's
switching the fundamental system from an overly complex desktop
multi-user configuration to a minimal single-user configuration. In
Debian, that often means removing coreutils and using busybox.

> I started asking this on the symbian forums when it went open source.
> The resounding answer was no. You need a developer version.

Yes, because running a desktop system on a phone is insane. The
developer version (or SDK) is just an environment which isolates the
build from the unwanted complications of your desktop system.

> So afaik, the N900 is the only consumer phone which is truly open (it's
> possible that Nokia will use the N900 ideal on Symbian phones, but I
> don't hold out a lot of hope). All other devices are closed for business
> without serious hackery or a developer version. This is why I wish the
> Linux kernel was GPLv3.

That would make absolutely no difference what so ever. None.

This isn't about licences, it is about configuration and dependencies.

--

Neil Williams