Re: [LUG] Fwd: Nokia launches open source phone

On 27/04/10 18:03, Julian Hall wrote:
'The first handset to use the Symbian operating system since it became
open source has been announced by Nokia.'

Important question to ask before buying an open source phone. Can I just read the code or can I actually get modifications onto my device?

I started asking this on the symbian forums when it went open source. The resounding answer was no. You need a developer version.

So afaik, the N900 is the only consumer phone which is truly open (it's possible that Nokia will use the N900 ideal on Symbian phones, but I don't hold out a lot of hope). All other devices are closed for business without serious hackery or a developer version. This is why I wish the Linux kernel was GPLv3.