Re: [LUG] Lucid

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 11:25 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Personally speaking.. I *always* have two different desktops/wm's
> > installed Gnome as my primary, then also XFCE and Openbox as you ask. If
> > something happens to one, the other should be good to go with any luck.
> > So I am not entirely dependant on command line only, I can take my sweet
> > time fixing it then, instead of having to drop everything to get a
> > working desktop
> >
> I like that idea. With modern HD's being so huge there is plenty of room
> for two or more versions of Linux to dual boot. I have been using my
> current desktop for over two years, including several distros on VBox. I
> still have more than 70% free! Crazy.
>
> But how do you keep each one in sync? For example Home and bookmarks on
> the browser. Or do you use one most of the time and the other distros
> are there for emergencies only?

Its not multiple distros installed. I just install standard Gnome Ubuntu
then I install the XFCE desktop as well, and because I like a change as
well as the operation I typically have Openbox that I use periodically.

They are all installed into the one base install, and simply choose
which I want to use at login, choose the session then. Because I auto
login to Gnome normally I would typically logout and then choose for
example, Openbox. That would then contain all my applications that Gnome
would normally have, but in the Openbox desktop environment, or XFCE.

You aren't limited to only one Desktop Environment at a time, its a
simple case of choosing which you want to use on the login screen. I
would say though, if oyu go for something like Gnome and Kde side by
side you will have some very full and cluttered menus, even XFCE will do
that a bit but to a far lesser degree, and its not much trouble to just
hide menu entries you don't want in each DE.

I'll set it up on my netbook as I haven't yet (been lazy/sunbathing) to
show at the next meeting if you like.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides