Re: [LUG] Lucid

On 26 May 2010 19:01:05 +0100
sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> For what it's worth, when my aged 2nd hand Dell something-or-other
> blew up, I dug an even more aged Dell Dimension 2350 (Celeron 2GHz)
> out of the attic and the only distro I could get to run sensibly on
> it was (is) PCLinuxOS LXDE. Ubuntu and Mandriva seized so frequently
> they were unusable. With PCLinuxOS LXDE my sound card is a bit
> erratic and the file manager PCMan has a known bug but the support
> guys rally round in no time at all to help and advise. I was running
> PCLinuxOS with KDE happily on the defunct machine and I'll stick with
> them in future.
>
> Simon Sanders

Top posted *and* in HTML? :p

I don't really understand people's obsessions with specific distros.
Was it *really* Ubuntu that was seizing, or was it a specific component
of the default Ubuntu collection of software?  You could always have
tried installing a command-line only Ubuntu and added only the packages
you want.  You want XFCE?  Install the XFCE packages.  Gnome?  Grab the
Gnome packages instead.

Grant.