Re: [LUG] Lucid

Neil Winchurst wrote:
Grant Sewell wrote:
I don't really understand people's obsessions with specific distros.
Was it *really* Ubuntu that was seizing, or was it a specific component
of the default Ubuntu collection of software?  You could always have
tried installing a command-line only Ubuntu and added only the packages
you want.  You want XFCE?  Install the XFCE packages.  Gnome?  Grab the
Gnome packages instead.

Grant.

I am not sure that 'obsession' is the right word. As I mentioned one of
the strengths and weaknesses of Linux is the sheer number of distros. I
have used or looked at several over the years. They do vary somewhat.
When I have used a particular one for some time I get used to how it
works. But I am not obsessed with it.

At the moment I feel that KDE has become too 'heavy' and bloated for me.
Please note, I said 'for me'. So I am tempted to move to Xfce which does
all that I need. That is why I am testing PCLinuxOS and will check out
Mint 9 when the Xfce version comes out. (I already have Mint 7 Xfce on
my laptop.)

I know that I could install, for example, the Gnome version of Mint and
add Xfce to it. But that is not the same as installing the Xfce version
straight. As an example, Mint 8 Gnome comes in at 1 Gb. The KDE version
is 1.1 Gb whereas the Xfce version is 695 Kb.

It is wonderful to have all this choice.

Neil

Just as an aside - I'm sure the linux industry does not do this deliberately - choice is used in marketing to actively restrict choice. If you give the customer too many choices they are unable to make a choice and so are a lot more susceptible to 'guidance' and therefore are sold 'the wrong solution' without later wanting to admit they were dumb and were miss sold something and so can ask for their money back.
Its a bit like the 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' hi-fi sketch writ large.
Tom te tom te tom