Re: [LUG] Looking for help with setting up a mail server.

Damon Young wrote:
> I have been trying to understand how mail server are set up. I can not
> get it right or to the point do not understand it. So I am looking for
> help to sit down and set it up. I am still learn to use linux all.

Aside from the other comments, if the answer is "set up your own email
server", then someone probably asked the wrong question.

Sure I run an email server or two (or well 4 or 5 or 6 depending how you
count them), and some folks on this list help runs thousands, but then I
work for an ISP and people kind of expect us to handle email for some
domains.

Meanwhile we try and pass most of the email work to bigger email
providers who can do a better job for less money. Leaving me with mostly
boxes configured to send email for "root" to the system admin (and no
more email config is needed).

The simple fact is running an email server scales wells, there is a lot
of upfront work, but very low marginal cost to adding extra
accounts/domains/disks. So unless you have a very specific requirement,
it is hard to make a sensible business case to do it yourself.
Especially when some big providers will provide these services for free,
or extremely low cost.