Re: [LUG] This surprised me

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/05/10 17:58, Grant Sewell wrote:
>>
>> Just installed MS Office 2010 beta in my Windows 7 virtual machine and
>> was presented with this (NB: option selected is *not* the default
>> option):
>>
>> http://www.thymox.co.uk/MS_Office_2010.png
>>

> Could be worded a bit better, but hey, it's promising.  Now we just need
> Microsoft to sort out their implementation of ODF (which IIRC isn't as good
> as the OpenOffice implementation).
>
> Rob

Read a great article recently on why Microsoft only pay lip-service to
ODF (specifically their implementation of ODF spreadsheets in Excel).
It went along the lines of "look, we implement ODF as per the
specification and nothing but the specification, we don't do any extra
'interpreting' of the data - this is as it is in ODF... notice how
badly the ODF spec organises your data... it's almost unusable...
wouldn't you be better saving in our lovely MS format instead?".

Grant.