Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On 12/05/10 19:46, Paul Sutton wrote:

Julian Hall wrote:
'In less than 18 months there will be no more big blocks of net
addresses to give out, estimates suggest.  Predictions name 9 September
2011 as the date on which the last of those tranches is released for net
firms and others to use'

Ok

I am guessing Linux of any flavour including anything still running the
2.4 kernel series can support IPv6

I gather so, at least I'm pretty certain 2.6.x can.

I am also assuming that Windows XP onwards or at least Vista and Win 7
including win 2k3 perhaps and above also support IPv6

Yep, it has out of the box support (although I'm pretty certain on XP you have to install it, IIRC on Vista and Windows 7 it's included as part of the default install, I'd have to check on Windows Server 2003).

Sounds like an opportunity to get Linux on computers that won't support
IPv6.  OK these may be older boxes,  but Windows XP is still a useable
operating sytem, more importantly if it can run XP then it should be
able to run Linux of some sort even if its with XFCE.

To be honest, as mentioned before, it might be a case of upgrading your router to translate from IPv6 down to IPv4.

Given the rup off merchants pounced when it came to the year 2000
issues,  i can see something similar happening in 18 months time as
people try to cash in and convice people you need to upgrade XYZ at an
over inflated cost.

Ahh you get that with any industry. Personally I'm more worried about the Year 2038 bug ;-)

http://www.deepsky.com/~merovech/2038.html

An opportunity for the lug to perhaps offer clear, real word advice adn
gain some sort of recognition at the same time.  OH and perhaps convert
a few more boxes to Linux :D

I think if you mention IPv6 to the average Joe/Jane in the street they'd say huh? (oh and probably turn off!).

Rob