Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

An opportunity for the lug to perhaps offer clear, real word advice adn
gain some sort of recognition at the same time.  OH and perhaps convert
a few more boxes to Linux :D

It's not the end-users devices that need converting, it's the ISPs first, then the consumer routers/firewalls second - and once you've done that, it might be appropriate to look at the end-users PCs, etc.

Check your router now - does it have native support for IPv6? My expensive Drayteks don't )-:

Does my (ADSL) ISP support it? Well, in-theory, yes, but in practice it's hard to get. I suspect the same is for other ISPs if they're considering it at all. I know that one or 2 niche ISPs do though, but I understand it's all tunnelled. (Does BT Wholesale even support IPv6 yet? Not sure...)

Then there's the back-end ISPs - the hosting companies and transit carriers - I'd support it at that level if my ISP supports it - which they don't - yet. I could tunnel to someone else, but that's not good for me as it means relying on yet another network to carry my data...

So I think we've a long way to go before the end-user can even consider IPv6.

We'll run out of IPv4 properly first.

Gordon