Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On 11/05/10 23:36, Julian Hall wrote:
'In less than 18 months there will be no more big blocks of net
addresses to give out, estimates suggest. Predictions name 9 September
2011 as the date on which the last of those tranches is released for net
firms and others to use'

I'm wondering if Virgin will support IPv6 before it's required?

I'm suspecting not. I don't even think the Virgin router they supplied me supports it (there certainly aren't any options in the configuration). So when the time comes I guess I'll have to use my Linksys router with DD-WRT (assuming that supports it, or is made to support it with an upgrade).

What I don't understand though at the moment is when we go over to IPv6, will we still be able to use NAT to convert from IPv6 to IPv4 addresses or will we just entirely use IPv6 addresses in our internal networks too?

Rob