Re: [LUG] CD Inserts for Ubuntu CD's

On Sat, 08 May 2010 13:36:22 +0100
John Williams wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 13:28 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 May 2010 12:25:03 +0100
> > John Williams wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.imagebanana.com/view/frczrtj1/ubuntu_cd.jpg
> > >
> > > The finished cd's. I think they look a lot more appealing that
> > > just a plain hand written CD in a sleeve. Especially when you are
> > > asking someone to replace their bought for OS with it. It is
> > > still a hand written CD inside the sleeve, but still :]
> >
> > We could overcome the handwritten-disc obstacle still... I have a
> > LightScribe drive and I imagine I'm not the only one.  I've never
> > used it with any LightScribe compatible discs, but the results on
> > t'Interweb seem to suggest that it can look pretty good.  I'm just
> > downloading the LightScribe software now (from LightScribe
> > themselves).  Certainly the media doesn't seem too expensive (I've
> > only checked eBuyer).
> >

> Let me know how that works out, I am planning to build a new computer
> soon (hopefully) and would make a point of getting a lightscribe
> burner in that case.

Don't have any LightScribable discs at the moment - when funds return
to pre-Wedding levels I will pick up a pack.

In the mean-time, if anyone has the time or inclination:
http://www.thymox.co.uk/Ubuntu_LightScribe.png
http://www.thymox.co.uk/Ubuntu_LightScribe.svg

I've tried the png in the Lacie LightScribe tool and it centres nicely
and looks like it should print/burn/etch/whatever OK.

As far as I can tell, the Lacie tool works best with bitmap images
(JPG/PNG) at the same resolution (2773x2773) as the templates.
Unfortunately in the SVG file the Ubuntu logo isn't centred, so I had
to play about with it in GIMP a bit.

If anyone with better Inkscape skills than I fancies adding some text
(either Ubuntu or LUG specific) going around the edge of the logo, and
perhaps centring it so it works straight-away after exporting it to
PNG, then that'd be excellent.

Cheers.
Grant. :)