Re: [LUG] Laptop advice, please.

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 13:15 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 12:33, Rob Beard wrote:
> > Oh and if you're not going to run Linux on there then you'll find this
> > isn't the best place to be asking for Windows advice.
> >
> > Rob

I had missed that little nugget, it is likely to be running linux after
a short while of me getting a little experience with Win7 so I can be a
little quicker getting around friend and relatives machines they ask me
to sort out.

I apologise though for not marking the original post as OT.

> Without wishing to speak for John I think his motive is the same as mine
> is if I post an OT query; namely I know people here have a wealth of
> technical knowledge on many areas of IT not just Linux.  Plus having
> been here a while I personally trust the opinions of those who offer
> them here.  Reviews online are one thing, but they always use a
> short-term test set-up that doesn't say how a piece of kit works 'in the
> wild' or over a long period of use, and they tend to miss out foibles
> that only crop up during actual use over time.
>
> Julian

Pretty much what he said ;)

>>From what I have seen many folks have pretty good knowledge of systems
and I was just hoping to tap that, I had googled found little to compare
the two, was unsure of how good the ATI part of the Toshiba was as I've
not looked at graphics cards for some time. It had originally seemed far
simpler than continuing to Google to simply ask people who very likely
would know and provided an answer with a lot less headache than carry on
googling ;)

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides