Re: [LUG] Asterisk and getting rid of unwanted calls

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 11:37 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:
>
> > I'm getting fed up with silent calls and marketing calls. I've signed of
> > for the relevant services but it's not made a huge difference.
>
> It can take a month or 2 before the changes work. The TPS and CTPS
> databases are only updated once a month - when the telesalesdroids are
> suposed to pull them.

Yeah, it's already been at least that long. We also get calls for the
people who lived here before who used to run a couple of small companies
so I could redirect them too. I know we could change our phone number
but we don't want to.

> > Should I be looking at USB ATA devices or ethernet ones? What's the best
> > deal? How do I know whatever I get can be made to work with Asterisk? It
> > seems most ethernet ones support SIP, does that mean they will work?
>
> Ok - you're now into minefield territory :)

> However this might be promising:
>
>    http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-handytone-503-p-620.html
>
> as it has one FXO and one FXS port on it, so you can connect it to the
> PSTN line and plug in your existing analogue phone. I've used Grandstreams
> in the past, but never their FXO ports.

I think I might give this a go since I can try it with my existing
hardware box and it's not terribly expensive should I not get anywhere
with it.

> > Can I run my SKY box connection through the Asterisk server or do I need
> > to leave it as a normal phone extension?
>
> I'd leave it on a normal phone extension.
>
> Although my sky box isn't plugged in at all, but I just use freesat, so I
> don't know what it actually does...
The engineer who fitted my box told me that it phones up sky now and
again to confirm that box is still at the address in question (I think
by using CallerID). It also gives you access to pay per view, view your
bill and things like that.

> Personally, I'd get a low-power box with a PCI card and put in a card with
> one FXO port and one FXS port for the phones. Slighly more expensive but
> less external plumbing and easier to configure.

I'm thinking about possibly upgrading to something better than my MPC-L,
but still low power. If I do that then I can go for the PCI card option.
I'll have a think.

Thanks for the advice!

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.