Re: [LUG] Lightweight Ubuntu

On 06/05/2010 12:06, Steven CÃtà wrote:
Will this Ubuntu version be suitable for my old Asus eee netbook which I have not used for some time?
But as we are shortly going for a trip to the Outer Hebrides I wonder if the eee which is light might be
worth taking as it has WIFI. I have never been totally comfortable with the Asus eee software as is.

Experiences please ;-)

I've loaded it onto my eee 1005pe and it hasn't been good for me. From a pure hardware point of view, it certianly has everything needed to run this version, but I've had some video trouble since the upgrade. The basic problem seems to be that I can't get direct rendering to work (even though it worked out of the box with 9.10).

This has had some weird knock-on effects, namely it means I can't use the netbook-launcher app, because it continually crashes and reloads, always making itself the forefront app making the entire system unusable. I'm currently working around the problem by using Gnome with compiz disabled.

I've been trawling around online and I haven't seen anyone mention this problem anywhere, so I'm beginning to suspect it might just be a bugbear from the upgrade process and I'm going to try a clean install when I get a chance to see if that helps.

In summary, be wary of doing an upgrade if your time is limited.

Steven,

Thank you for your warning and comments.

John W