Re: [LUG] web admin vacancy - torbay council

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010, tom wrote:
>
>>> Does no-one do proper jobs anymore? So much for getting a career...
>>>
>>> They'd probably be better off simply asking a local (to devon)
>>> company to manage their website for them. It'd probably be cheaper
>>> too...
>>>

>> Cheaper? From my experience getting a contractor in to do council work
>> is several times more expensive than inhouse.
>
> I didn't mean giving it to a contractor, I meant giving it to a web
> design company - well, maybe their externally facing one anyway. In
> exactly the same way an online shop, etc. uses web design companies,
> then so might local councils.
>
> However I bet there's a lot of wrangling involved internally, so it'll
> never happen.
>
> It just seems to me that no-one has a "proper" job now - it's all
> fixed-term contracts - giving the employees no real incentive to do a
> good job IMO - if I were to take that "job" and I knew it really was
> fixed-term, do you think I'd care about what happens to it after I'd
> left? I'd probably also be spending the last 3 months looking for a new
> job too.
>
> I really don't think it's a good way to encourage someone to do a good job.
>
> Hope you've all done (or are going to do) your civic duty today too! If
> you don't vote, you can't complain.
>
> Gordon

This is clearly something else to write to MP's about,  especially if we
want more councils to look in to open source, they need to recruit and
retain the best staff to do the job and make them feel part of a team,
rather than a short term solution.

I think after the election we need to as a lug do a big big push on open
standards and open source, if enough of us do this, MP's will have to
sit up and listen.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton