Re: [LUG] Ubu10.04 and keeping data from FF and TB

Is it OK to just copy back the old .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird
files (I can rename the new ones) to give them and my add-ons back?

Without checking, I would say yes. What I would expect to happen is that the new versions would detect an older format, and import all your settings to the new version. Like I said though, I've not tried it.

Can I get round this as it is useful to access certain files on the
desktop from my laptop? If I install 10.04 on my desktop, can I mix ext4
for / and leave /home as ext3? What's the best approach?

You should definitely be able to do this. You will have to specify the file system type on the mount points, but there's no reason you can't mount ext3 and ext4 onto the same filesystem (my system at home has an ext4 '/' and and ext3 '/home').

The easiest way to do all this is to modify your '/etc/fstab' file. I can't remember the exact syntax off the top my head, but you should be able to mimic what's already in there to figure out what you need to do to mount the points you want. Check the fstab man page if you need any help.